Monday, February 12, 2018

Winter's Plod

It really has been too long a winter so far. Here it is, not quite Valentine's Day, and spring technically four weeks away--I say technically because, around here, anything can happen, and you only hope that whatever does happen falls withing the boundaries of a statistically reasonable expectation. I look out my window and see the Missouri River slowly oozing by, ice-choked with crumbly-edged round floes of frozen Missouri River water. Again, technically, probably not really water, per se.  At any rate, this can all go away any time now.

All that said, I look forward to the coming of warmer weather with just a bit of trepidation. I remember that freakishly warm November afternoon, just a few days after I moved into my new loft, when a few of the five air conditioner compressor units on the roof right above me kicked on for a couple hours and one or more of them hummed loudly and vibrated enough to make the beams in my loft vibrate, and all this causing a sort of harmonic to stand inside my skull, causing me to hear voices giving me instructions . . . no, I'm kidding. But, almost. I couldn't live with that. It stopped after the sun went down, and as far as I know, no one's a/c has kicked on since. But they will.  Oh, yes, they will. 

A side note to the observant reader: yes, I discovered a fast, easy way to change the font to italic in the Google blogger composition window, and I have been overusing it. What of it?

Here's what happens today. It is the self-proclaimed Roy's Pancake Day, the weekly event which entails traveling east a few miles to the thriving burg of Independence, Missouri, to the Englewood Cafe and have two pancakes and eggs and sausage. Like almost every small business in Independence, the Englewood Cafe has been open for business since about World War II, and I think still maintains three of the original employees, whose names should be Mamie, Dolores, and Ethel. The rest of the staff are heavily tattooed, except for Denise, who doesn't own a computer.

After that, I hope to go to the DMV.  I like the Independence DMV mostly because it is big and there is seldom a super-long wait. I don't even know where the Kansas City DMV is, which is due, most likely, to the fact that they don't advertise their location. I was encourage via postcard to get my tags online, but I couldn't/didn't want to do that because I just moved to Missouri and I anticipate a glitch in the coming process. Not sure what, just a glitch. I base this angst-fueled expectation on lots of past experience.

After that, if it's not time for supper, perhaps do a few real estate drive-bys. I haven't heard from my realtor lately, but I have been looking in Independence for a house.  The most encouraging thing about the real estate market in Independence is that the house prices haven't gone up too much. In Kansas City there has been a surge--it is a "seller's market" and every time a house comes on the market, it either sells in twenty-seven minutes, or it turns out it was built on either an Indian burial ground, or an abandoned underground spent plutonium fuel-rod storage facility. Honestly, I don't know which is worse.

So, since I slept in this morning and the morning threatens to slip through my fingers once again, I best be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Three in the Ayem

This unholy hour--I reached it and instead of sleeping through it, I woke up in it and got stuck in it. Now I'm worried about how much l...